Kimono Dragon 2014
- 150cm x 150cm (60″ x 60″)
- Silk top, cotton back, wool wadding
- straight line machine quilting around seams (not SID)
A gift to a dear friend to celebrate her 60th birthday. (The quilt I created instead of Red Dragon, below.) After taking this photograph, I also tied each block at about 2″ gaps using red silk embroidery floss – but I forgot to take another photograph before gifting.
The top is new and vintage kimono silk and new dress silk. Where the silk was very fine and unstable, I backed with a fused lightweight interfacing. To prevent there being a seam going the full width or length of the quilt, which I thought would be a visual disruption, I pieced sections and then combined using partial seams.
Red Dragon – 2012 to 2015
- Twin size
- Cotton top and back, wool wadding
I started this quilt several years earlier, intended as a birthday present for a friend who loves the colour red. I collected a lot of red cottons. I love this particular pattern, called Rocky Mountain Sparkler in a book I purchased. For some strange reason, I thought it would look good with very low contrast.
After completing about 26 blocks, and planning a broken border, I decided I hated it. I did not put it together.
A resolution for the last few years is to reduce my UFO pile, at least one a year. This was 2015’s effort. I disregarded a border and sewed the blocks together without a great deal of thought. Then used it as practise for free motion quilting of ‘organic’ feathers. After it was done, I realised I quite liked it. I don’t love it, but I’m ok with the result. My husband also disliked it initially, but when completed he said he thought it looked a little like a Persian carpet. It is now used on a spare bed.
Japanese Irish Chain – 2012
- Twin sized
- Japanese printed cotton and homespun (white) top, cotton back, cotton wadding.
- Straight line and FMQ
Overwhelmed by my collection of Japanese cottons, I chose a design that would use a good proportion of my stash.