Strictly speaking, I don’t believe this is actually a UFO, though it was started a few years ago, so – maybe.
I decided to make a modern half-square triangle quilt to display at the annual guild exhibition QuiltWest. I chose a circle print: turquoise + gold + navy, and some corresponding solids and a gold print. After cutting out a few squares and making about 8 HSTs, I decided to go with a different colour scheme.
I made this quilt instead.
I was pretty pleased with it and I liked my circular quilting, though it didn’t win a prize.
Last week I rediscovered my small package of blocks and remaining fabric, and with nothing else with an urgent deadline, I thought “Get stuck into it”.
The HST were not tricky, 5″ squares sewn together though the centre and then trimmed to 4.5″. They went up on my design board in quick time. I did run out of the gold print, but luckily (!?) found in my stash another yellow-green that complemented nicely.
The preferred size for toddler quilts at my guild is currently 40″ x 40″ so I went with that – 100 HSTs. That’s a snap!
For the backing and binding, I found suitable fabrics in my stash, chartreuse Grunge as binding and a Japanese children’s print for the backing.
For the binding, I cut 2″ strips. This is slightly narrower than I often use. I’m trying to find the width that will suit my sewing. The binding was sewn 1/4″ from the edge of the quilt, turned under, and then stitch-in-the-ditch from the top to catch the under edge.
Some parts were very good, but other parts unsatisfactory.
Next time I will add an extra 1/8″ to the binding and see how that works out. Machine-finished binding is not generally approved by quilt judges, but this quilt is not destined for that. I believe the machine finishing gives a sturdier result for a child’s quilt that hopefully will receive multiple machine washings. I love a well-used quilt!