I used this quilt as a trial of the ‘freezer paper’ foundation piecing method. I was happy with the final quilt, but the freezer paper was not so good.
In total I made a six full blocks and eight half-blocks, each block needing four different foundation pieces. After about the fifth block, there was no stickiness remaining on the freezer paper. Luckily I merely reverted to the pinning method and continued.
The freezer paper method works really well when making up to about four repeated blocks. I disliked getting up to iron each piece and then moving to the table to place the next strip. With the pinning method, it is often enough to finger press while still seated at the sewing machine. So progress is much quicker. After awhile, I worked on four foundation pieces (making one complete block) simultaneously to save some time. But (ahem) that time saved was often lost later when I inadvertently sewed the wrong strip to the foundation and had to unpick.
There was a lot of wasted fabric as I trimmed the strips.
However, this was mostly old stash fabric that I was happy to use up. I have a large plastic crate where I store the Brights and Novelty fabrics that are most appropriate for children’s quilts. The contents are steadily getting lower – Yea!
The completed quilt and the back showing some scraps used up to widen the backing satellite fabric.
The quilt was put to use immediately after it was presented.
The design of this quilt was adapted from a pattern from the book Beyond Log Cabin by Kerry Gadd.