It seems like I haven’t completed much quilting recently, and that is partly correct. I was working on a school banner (pro-bono) for a friend. It will be a gift to the school from ex-students and I felt that I couldn’t show it until after the presentation. I was heartly tired of it about half way through, which slowed me down somewhat. At last it is done.
In celebration I got on with a few small tasks that I was more keen to get finished.
A new cushion cover for the lounge room.
I’m aiming to use up the remnants of linen that I have accumulated over the years. This has a different front and back, which I’m happy with. An invisible zipper (from the cupboard) was inserted near one side. Then piping added around the front edge.
I probably wouldn’t have done this if my friend Sandy at Grey Barn Designs had not made a cushion cover herself a couple of weeks ago. Inspired by her blog, I found some unopened blue piping from very long ago – it is the thin piping, a pity I didn’t have the maxi-piping like Sandy – and inserted it using the finishing technique, also provided by Sandy. It worked really well. If you are thinking of doing something similar, then here is the link to a different tutorial by Melanie Ham. I only needed the finishing off part (at 5:32), but if you haven’t tried piping before, then watch the whole thing.
All done, at zero additional cost – all materials from the store room!
At our Contemporary Quilt Group meeting in August, we were lucky to have a colour workshop presentation. The homework was to complete a 12″ x 12″ block using the colours from a painting we liked.
My painting is La Ville, by Robert Delaunay 1911. I saw the original at the Guggenheim Museum in NYC and was attracted by its patchwork-like appearance. We are to have our homework appraised by the workshop presenter, Paul Green-Armytage, at next meeting.
I wanted to send appreciation cards to several sponsors of a quilt exhibition, so I made a few using my standard leaf pattern.
I make these regularly and created a tutorial about them previously. The cards have already been posted.
I had fallen a little behind with completing blocks for my quilting buddies, the Quirky Quilters. I caught up with three of the boxes.
I will show one addition here: a traditional block using red, blue, yellow – the others I will keep secret as the owners may check out this blog before the official reveal.
So that’s my work from last week. I’m quite pleased with myself.