A few days ago, I realised that I had not finished any UFOs last year, even though I had made a commitment to myself to complete at least one per year. Straight away, I dug up a baby quilt, top completed about (ahem) 2004 and quilted about 2007. (Oh, those dates are embarrassing.) The quilt was never bound.
All those years ago, I enjoyed piecing the feathered star using lots of childish brights, but the overwhelming pinkness of the finished top was too much for me. When I purchased my quilting frame, I practised quilting on various plain pieces of fabric and other tops that I was not happy with – this being one of them.
Yesterday, I auditioned various fabrics for the binding, and settled on the largest piece that required minimal joins. Generally I go for scrappy bindings on scrappy quilts, but that was a step too far for this unlovely quilt.
I continue to dislike the vast pink areas, however the modern quilt aesthetic has influenced me enough that I can accept those bright empty spaces. The quilting is an embarrassment, always my weakest skill, I like to think I have improved somewhat since this was quilted.
That’s number 1 UFO completed for 2017.